Wednesday, August 22, 2012

EUROVISION LVII: Morgan's Rankings of the 42, 30-25


Continuing to 'light your (ass on) fire' with the best of Baku 2012! It's my ranking and assessment of all 42 participants of EUROVISION LVII, which took place in late May in the Azerbaijani capital.

So it's now at positions 30-25 on my rankings. Here we go!

NOTICE! The top 30 on my rankings are very powerful pieces and I respect, like or love them all!



Residential Shakhtar Donetsk supporter and the very-educated Gaitana (UKR) at #30 with "Be My Guest," which is included in her new album Viva, Europe! Why did I include those words in a short description? She wrote a song on Shakhtar, which is found on Viva, Europe!, but also has an economics degree. But the problem of why I ranked this song low, is at first I didn't like it, but grew on me (just like virtually everything else on Viva, Europe!). Did you know she was a friend of EURO 2012 (since Ukraine co-hosted the tournament with Poland) and composed a song-ironically the title track of her album-for the tournament? That's some facts to chew on! I want her to try again with something even more magical in the near future, but please download Viva, Europe! From what I hear, it's a great album!


"'Beautiful Song,' it's on the radio and on the TV shows..." Why some people didn't like it, but I did.  I'm talking about the entry from Anmary (LAT), which is #29 on my rankings. It's good, and Anmary is very attractive. Great singer, but don't understand the hate about this "Beautiful Song"? It might not make sense to the lowest common denominator (who think this is boring), but she doesn't go the same route as Ivi and Eleftheria! That is something to ponder.


Iris (BEL) was the second youngest participant of ESC LVII at age 17 with "Would You?" This is #28 on my rankings. Remember, it's from the same country that Kate Ryan represented ESC with years back. This is a brilliant masterpiece, and don't understand why some people put this down. It's good, but not great. I enjoyed it.


Anggun Cipta Sasmi (FRA), who was one of six pre-qualifiers without a semifinal run, at #27 on my rankings with "Echo". I liked it and found it to be OK a couple months after ESC LVII came to a close. Very underrated track, but this position of number 27 was a hard decision for a good song. Did you know Anggun had major label backing for ESC LVII? The same could be said for a few others in the contest.


At number #26 is pro wrestling legend Chief Wahoo McDaniel! I mean...Joan Franka (NED)! The headdress Joan had on in the semifinal is almost similar to Wahoo McDaniel's headdress during his years in territorial pro wrestling. "You and Me" is a good, yet underrated song, and whoever said it was terrible, you suck. Listen to this numerous times and you'll get the point.


At number 25, Filipa Sousa (POR) had another brilliant, yet good song, as well with "Vida Minha". It was one of the best Euro-ballads this year at ESC LVII, but was really tough to rank.

So to recap after 3 days and 3 reviews:
42. Ireland
41. Austria
40. San Marino
39. Norway
38. Georgia
37. Moldova
36. Turkey
35. Cyprus
34. Greece
33. Lithuania
32. Romania
31. Albania
30. Ukraine
29. Latvia
28. Belgium
27. France
26. Netherlands
25. Portugal

4 more reviews and four more rankings. Where will the champion, Loreen, end up on my rankings? Keep reading in the days to come! Up next it's songs 24-19!



No comments:

Post a Comment