Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Copenhagen 2014 Reviews: Donatan featuring Cleo "My Slowianie"


For the first time since 2011, Poland has returned to the ESC landscape, but not in a good way. For Copenhagen, it will be producer Donatan with "My Slowianie."

"My Slowianie"--produced by Donatan featuring Cleo--is a very risqué tune, that is so risqué it is horrible. The beats, the lyrics, it's like you're listening to a modern day top 40 song (i.e. Rihanna among others). I mean, come on man! You guys should do better than that! Donatan is a hip hop producer, and as we all know Poland has a huge hip hop community there. The sad part is, I feel that this song, due to the beat, vocals, and style, is (in my opinion) this year's nul points contender. That's right. A big, fat zero. They will perform in the second semifinal on Thursday, the 8th of May. That could be it for them in Copenhagen.

Last year, I predicted "Marry Me!" by Krista Siegfrids was going to be a nul points contender, but it shocked me to no avail that it made the final (and I was questioning myself and shaking my head at that). Before that, the JEDWARD songs "Lipstick" and "Waterline" from 2011 and 2012 should have gotten nul points as well. Gipsy.cz's "Aven Romale" from 2009 is the most recent ESC song to get nul points, causing the Czechs to not return to the event. I thought "Aven Romale" was good, but heaps better than this song, "Marry Me!", "Lipstick," "Waterline" and the Spain 2006 (Las Ketchup) and Greece 2008 (Kalomira?) entries as well, which should've been disqualified at first just for lameness. As for Poland in ESC, I've only liked Magdalena Tul's "Jestem," and that's it. Other than that, it's all mediocrity in ESC for this country. Welcome back Poland, and please rethink for the 60th ESC next year.


Up next: Suzy Guerra "Quero Ser Tua."

No comments:

Post a Comment