Monday, April 21, 2014

Copenhagen 2014 Reviews: Carl Espen "Silent Storm"


Another winner for Norway in ESC! Hopefully this man--Carl Espen (pictured)--can deliver for his country in Copenhagen with a stunning ballad entitled "Silent Storm."

"Silent Storm" is a powerful piano-based ballad so powerful, last year's ESC champion Emmelie de Forest picked this song as the song to win it all in Copenhagen. Seriously. I like this song and it is one of the best ballads I've heard in ESC recently. The flow and vocals are excellent here. He will perform in the second semifinal on Thursday, the 8th of May. He will qualify for the grand final, and could be a contender to win. I'm not joking.

Since the virtual let down of Touraj 'Tooji' Keshtkar's "Stay" (which barely made the grand final at Baku 2012, and finished toward the bottom of the barrel in that grand final), Norway has come on fire in ESC, with this and last year with Margaret Berger's "I Feed You My Love," which had a good reasonable (I think) finish in the grand final. Before 2012, with the exception of Ketil Stokkan ("Brandenberger Tor" in 1990), Jahn Teigen ("Mil Etter Mil" in 1978) and of course, the hard rockers Wig Wam ("In My Dreams" from 2005, the best ESC song from Norway in my opinion), there haven't been much to offer for this country in ESC. This song should join the ranks as one of the best from Norway in ESC. Wish for the best.


Up next: Donatan & Cleo "My Slowianie."

No comments:

Post a Comment