Saturday, July 26, 2014

Copenhagen 2014: Rankings of the 37, part 6: 10-6


It's now that time. I reviewed the last 27, now it's the top ten. Who gets points one to five in this, part 6 of my Copenhagen 2014 rankings.

And here we go!

Number 10, and one point goes to...


The duo of Ovi Cernateanu and Paula Seling with "Miracle" (Romania). For the second straight year, a Romanian ESC entry is ranked in the top ten in my rankings. Why? Because of its aura level. Great song, with house beats. I like it and this is now one of my favorite ESC entries for Romania, period.

Number 9, and two points goes to...


Pollaponk with "Enga Fordoma" (Iceland). Is it just me or did this punk band stole this idea of their outfits from Dschinghis Khan in 1979 (they had multi-colored outfits when they performed on that night)? I also thought of something else: remember that EUROVISION Book of Records segment where one of the categories was "most 'la's' in a song? Should be updated with this song in it for future references. Also these guys must be either fans of Craig Sager or Don Cherry with their suit choices. Clothing beside, this is now one of my favorite Icelandic entries in the ESC, and their aura and machismo qualities lived up to it.

Number 8 and three points goes to...


Tanja Mihhailova with "Amazing" (Estonia). Like "Quero ser Tua," this was another song (in my opinion) that missed the boat for the grand final, thank you mindless mainstream top 40 music sheeple across Europe, you should all keep twerking. This was great, with the euphoric house quality you come to expect. Still one of my favorite Estonian ESC entries, last year was okay.

Number 7, and four points goes to...


Elaiza with "Is It Right?" (Germany). Germany hasn't failed a whole lot the past five years of ESC competition, all are stellar including this folksy tune here. Very popular tune in my opinion to have not won it all.

Number 6, and five points goes to...


Carl Espen Thornbjornsen with "Silent Storm" (Norway). 2013 ESC champion Emmelie de Forest picked this song to win it all, and even though I disagree with that notion, this happened to be the best ballad in the ESC since Malcolm Lincoln's "Siren" in 2010. It's all about atmosphere and hence I ranked this a whole lot higher. Also it's the second straight year I've enjoyed anything in the ESC from Norway.

With only one part remaining, here is where I stand:

37. Poland
36. Denmark
35. Belarus
34. Latvia
33. Macedonia
32. Austria
31. Sweden
30. Moldova
29. San Marino
28. Belgium
27. Spain
26. Albania
25. Montenegro
24. Armenia
23. Russia
22. Great Britain
21. Israel
20. Hungary
19. Azerbaijan
18. Slovenia
17. Ireland
16. Lithuania
15. Georgia
14. Greece
13. Ukraine
12. Portugal
11. Italy
10. Romania (1 point)
9. Iceland (2 points)
8. Estonia (3 points)
7. Germany (4 points)
6. Norway (5 points)

And in this final part, who will get my 12 points? Stay tuned as the countdown continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment